Action Based Enterprises provides students in grades K-12 who are struggling with behavioral difficulties and learning challenges with a safe and supportive environment that enables them to learn, thrive and succeed. We provided schooling that is individually tailored to meet each student’s special needs. This is made possible by our low teacher and support to student ratio. The result is an impressive track record of success. This includes:
- Meeting and exceeding IEP goals and state standards
- Consistent success in revolving behavioral issues.
- Marked increase in motivation to learn
- Substantial development of self-sufficiency
- Career development and exploration
- Expert use of state-of-the-art technology to enhance learning
- Constructive family participation
Our School Programs
- Two fully certified RIDE schools with students with learning disabilities and behavioral difficulties ranging in age from 5 to 21.
- Extended School Year services
- Transition from School to Adulthood(18-21 year olds)
Our curriculum meets all standards set forth by the Rhode Island Department of Education. Instructional planning and service delivery, however, are driven by students’ IEPs, Grade Level Equivalents, Common Tasks, portfolio preparation, high school credit requirements and preparation for state testing. These are aligned with programs of study as identified within the sending Local Education Agencies.
Action based activities are series of physical and mental challenges offered to the students on a daily basis that require participants to demonstrate individual effort, teamwork and problem solving skills in order to be successful. Students are expected to employ rational thought, higher level thinking skills and creative thought processes in order to attain positive outcomes. The aim of many of these activities is to allow students to view themselves as increasingly capable and competent.
Quality Therapeutic Services
ABE staff anticipates that participants who come to our program will have a variety of behavioral and emotional issues and, as such, will require therapy to take full advantage of their new educational setting. We offer a therapeutic support system that allows for individual, group and family services. Therapeutic goals will be reflected in each student’s IEP. Social workers coordinate the admission process, interviewing participants and their families, and obtaining social histories. On-site presence allows the social workers to have regular contact with students.
Encouraging Family Involvement
Regular family contact will occur, with the initial goal of positively engaging parents by reporting the successes of the child. Parents will be asked to assume a supportive role in the student’s program by providing feedback from the home, and by attending scheduled parent meetings. Should students experience difficulty adjusting to their new environment, the school will actively consult with the parents, to employ proven strategies tailored to the individual student for facilitating student adjustment. Once the plan meets with parental approval, parents and will be encouraged to reinforce it in an appropriate manner in the home setting.
- Cultivate the ability to read, write and communicate effectively
- Develop math, computer and technology skills and their “real world” applications
- Promote higher level thinking skills and the ability to integrate knowledge for daily use
- Enhance personal and social skills
- Foster civic responsibility through service learning activities
Located in the same building, Action Based Enterprises is the K-8 program, and Hillside Alternative is the High School program. Both programs utilize a comprehensive approach to academics, emphasizing instructional activities in English, Language Arts, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies that are consistent with standards set forth by the local public schools. Students also participate in electives such as Physical Education, Computer Technology, Health, Life Skills, Music and Fine Arts.
The Action Based Enterprises/Hillside School is located at 141 Main Street Woonsocket, RI. The phone number is: 401-762-0768. The fax number is: 401-762-0958.